Earthy helps you get the perfect at home pedicure
Summer is in full swing and that means it's time to break out your pretty summer sandals, for most of us, this is when we realise it's been a while since the last time we treated our feet. When it's hard to make it into the salon for a professional pedicure, we've got you covered with our step by step guide to give yourself the perfect at home pedicure and some much needed TLC for your feet.
1. Make sure you have everything you need in easy reach; a bowl of warm soapy water, towel, Earthy's 99% natural origin Remover and a reusable bamboo pad (we love the Tabitha Eve remover pads) with a nail clipper, nail file, foot file, cuticle pusher, cuticle nipper, foot cream, and cuticle oil. For your fresh coat of paint, have your favourite Earthy Nail Polish shade (Coral Reef is a perfect summer shade) on hand, plus our award winning Base and Top coats.
2. Remove any lingering polish with a reusable bamboo pad and our gentle yet nourishing Earthy Remover made from sweet almond oil.
3. If you have a foot bath, now is a good time to pull it out. Otherwise, you can fill your tub and sit on the edge. Fill your bowl with warm water and a bath soak - Epsom salt is a great choice, especially for sore feet—and submerge. Let your feet sit for 10-15 minutes to soften your cuticles, then dry one foot at a time.
4. Start with nail clippers from our new Earthy X Celeste manicure kit to begin trimming. Don't worry about perfecting the edges but always cut in a neat line to avoid ingrown toenails. Then, grab your file from the kit to soften and shape. If your heels or toes feel a bit rough, use a foot file or a pumice stone to gently smooth the skin and any calluses you might have.
5. When treating your cuticles always be gentle, firstly take your cuticle pusher from the manicure kit, push back any waxy build-up on your natural toenail plate and near the cuticle area. The point of the pusher is to detach that cuticle build-up from the natural nail, but it will also help your polish adhere to the nails. Then take your cuticle trimmer from the kit and trim any dead skin or hang nails.
6. Now, for the best part: apply a good amount of your favourite foot cream onto each foot. Massage your feet and toes for a few minutes, or as long as you’d like, making sure to apply enough pressure to help release any tension.
7. Use a cotton pad to remove any excess oily residue, this helps polish last longer. Toe separators are most convenient, but if you don't have any, just use a piece of paper towel and twist it into a rope, weaving it through your toes. This next step is crucial if you want a long lasting pedicure, since the base coat is what provides a barrier between the natural oils from your nails and the polish. Earthy's instant drying Base Coat makes it easier for you to apply even layers of nail polish. A layer of base coat serves as a smooth, even canvas for your polish providing a clear protective layer between the nail and the pigment of the polish above.
8. Once the base coat has dried, apply to a thin coat of your Earthy colour of choice. A pop of colour always looks good on toes, how about our pretty Pink Petunia, a bold shade of hot pink (shown below). Let the nails dry, then apply a second thin coat of colour. Putting less polish on the brush can also help keep things tidy. Once you have given your polish time to dry, apply our plant based Top Coat, this gives your nails a long-lasting pedicure, from a high-shine finish to offering a layer of protection to your nails. Our Top Coat helps to prevent chips and scratches to your polish, shielding your nails to ensure your manicure looks great and lasts longer. You can even add a layer of Top Coat after 3 or 4 days to help keep your nail polish protected and last that much longer.
9. Make sure to wait for your beautifully polished toenails to completely dry before slipping on shoes or socks. Your nails may feel dry, but rushing the drying process can result in unwanted smudges. Earthy's Cuticle Oil is packed with vitamins to help hydrate and protect nails and this is key for healthy, strong nails, whether on hands or toes. Simply apply a drop or two over your toes and massage in for added nourishment. Always apply cuticle oil after nail polish, so that it doesn't interfere with the colour adhering to nails.
Treat yourself to a pedicure every three to four weeks. Now get those sandals on and show off your gorgeous pedicure!